How to apply
Karuna Door-to-door Appeals and Telephone Campaigns
Karuna door-to-door and telephone fundraising and by connection the work Karuna funds in India rely on fundraisers from the Buddhist community. If you are a practicing Buddhist and are interested in volunteering for a Karuna Appeal or Telephone Campaign then we would be glad to hear from you. There are limited spaces each year, so it’s a good idea to apply in good time. (*Please note, you need to be living in London to take part in one of our telephone campaigns as they are based in London and are non-residential.)
Answering the questions below by e-mail ( email@example.com ) is the first step in the application process. This can also be seen as a useful start to the training process, getting you to clarify your thinking and intentions. Once we have received your e-mail we will follow up your references and may also want to arrange a phone date (or if nearby, a meeting) to have a chat before making a decision on your application.
- What is your background, age, work experience etc?
- What is the history of your involvement with Buddhism (include your current context for Buddhist practice)?
- What is it that draws you to want to do a Karuna Appeal/Telephone Campaign?
- What qualities and abilities do you think you would bring to the Appeal/Telephone Campaign?
- What difficulties might you anticipate doing an Appeal/Telephone Campaign?
- How would you rate your health and fitness level: good / reasonable / poor (If aplying to do a door-knocking Appeal give details, as there is a good deal of walking and standing around)
- Have you ever had psychiatric treatment or been prescribed medication for psychological reasons, e.g. depression, eating difficulties, alcohol or drug abuse. If so please give details.
- What is your commitment to doing the Appeal/Telephone Campaign? Is there anything that might take you away from your intention to do the Appeal/Telephone Campaign (e.g. a job offer or another responsibility)?
- How did you find out about Karuna fundraising opportunities?
- For door-knocking Appeal applicants only: Having looked at the support package page, will you be requesting support and if so which package?
- Please provide the contact details for three references, ideally people who know you well (at least one should be from a Buddhist context, another from a work context.)